Saturday, 30 January 2010

Wardrobe Malfunction

Gertie has become furiously insistent on choosing her own wardrobe every day.

I am happy to encourage this independence, but it comes with a price: The hideous concoction of clashing colours that are perfectly acceptable to a two year old. She is happy for me to rectify wrong-way-round or inside-out errors, but not to offer style advice.

Today, for example she is wearing no less than five different shades of pink, and has explained how she is 'all matching'. (She isn't.)

Now I don't know whether to intervene while I still have the chance; since, frankly, she is not going to accept my fashion insights in a few years time. On the other hand, it seems a shame to stifle the self-expression of toddler. I think I will just have to accept the second-glances as we walk down the street.

5 comments:

  1. I'd let her get on with it - it saves you time having to pick out the outfits yourself! Maybe Gok Wan should make a book for children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let her do it her own way, self expression and all that. She may turn out to be an uber fashionista and earn loads of money and keep you in the style to which you wish to become accustomed. she may not of course but she'll probably learn something from it none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, Heather. She probably can't do a lot worse than her mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there is anything you can do when a toddler is determined to choose her own clothes .. Toddlergirl has some horrid favourite combinations but at least she is learning to make choices (even if they clash)

    ReplyDelete