Wednesday, 3 March 2010

My Teenage Toddler

My toddler is displaying all the characteristics of a stroppy teenager. I can see exactly how things are going to be in a dozen years' time.

Tonight I called Gertie in to the bathroom to brush her teeth. She wouldn't come because, she moodily informed me, she was "a bit busy". She was 'a bit busy' having a tea-party in her room, but no doubt in a decade it will be the latest games console that is distracting her.

On the way home from nursery tonight she told me defiantly when I asked after Harrison (the courduroy-clad two-year-old love interest from Valentine's weekend) that he is now her 'ex-boyfriend'. Where did she even learn a concept like this?!

She won't be three until May, but at this rate I am fully expecting the first dismissive "Whatever!" when we discuss plans for the celebrations.

3 comments:

  1. My 3.5 year old is showing some very teen tendencies these days. lots of sulking, slamming doors and such like. i dread to think what the future holds. i might move out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The slamming doors! I hadn't even put those together, but you are absolutely right. And the telling me to 'go away' when she is playing. Let's go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds all too familiar, i think all little girls are potential Divas, just don't make the mistake of introducing her to High School Musical or Hannah Montanna - a complete recipe for disaster!! Disney have a lot to answer for x

    ReplyDelete