Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Magic Mushroom



It is that time of year again. Gertie is four at the weekend.

We have the party and the celebrations sorted. I finally managed to persuade her that the North Pole wasn't great at this time of year. So, she will have eight friends from nursery trailing round the local farm park with her in the morning; a visit that will culminate in a picnic lunch. Then, in the afternoon, we have planned a tea party with all Gertie's cousins and family. Hooray! Not a husky or an arctic explorer in sight.

Now this is all jolly exciting, except that it means I am forced to make my annual trek into the kitchen where I pretend that baking, icing and decorating comes naturally to me, and produce a cake to rival Jane Asher.

Last year's highly successful Peppa Pig appeared to be the pinnacle of my culinary achievement (well, when one's husband has appeared on Masterchef, one doesn't get much opportunity to experiment in the kitchen...) but I feel that I have topped it this year, even though it was fairy tricky:

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Gertie! The cake looks great, are those pebbles edible too? If so I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello make do mum: yes, pebbles were edible, though not particularly tasty if you were older than four; being made entirely of fondant icing with food colouring...

    ReplyDelete