Thursday, 13 May 2010

Kitchen Confidential: Operation Peppa


There is a long list of domestic things that I am not very good at. Sewing is quite near the top, closely followed by ironing. But cake-baking is right up there too. In fact, the legendary 'cricket pitch' cake I made for my husband's birthday a few years ago was immortalised by the comment, "Why is there a salmon on top?" in relation to the shortbread cricket-bat I had lovingly crafted by way of decoration.
But Gertie will be three at the weekend. And so the dormant domestic-goddess lurking deep inside me was determined to bake the perfect 'Peppa Pig' cake. I knew I needed to make it in several sections and so I began making sponge on Tuesday evening. Something went wrong (I blame Nigella and her insistence on adding milk) and the mixture wouldn't set properly. It wobbled out of the tin into a crumbly mess. Close to tears, I did what any other self-respecting woman would do, and phoned my mum.
She came to the rescue as mums do, and arrived at my house this evening with several sponges already prepared. All we had to do then was cut them up into the shape of Gertie's beloved Peppa and roll out the icing.


Simples. And personally I was delighted with the end result. I have surpassed all previous efforts. Dare anyone even make reference to green icing or fish-shaped cricket bats on Saturday at the party.
What a shame that the recipient of the cake doesn't look that impressed then...





4 comments:

  1. Children never look impressed with cakes - last year due MIL bought Bel a pretty chocolate cake up and she moaned to her face that it wasn't a princess cake!
    Love the Peppa cake - must let me know howm you made it as have Peppa top fan!!
    BNMx

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ BNM - It was really easy - just made two round sponge sandwiches and one square, then cut a rough 'Peppa' outline out of cardboard to get a template of the shape. Then just had to roll out royal icing in the right colours, and bought the eyes to stick in. Today was the big day and it was a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God - we must be sisters. I too am crap at sewing, ironing and cake making!

    And I'm impressed by that cake even if Gertie isn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you muummmmeeeeee - good to know that I have a kindred spirit out there.

    ReplyDelete