Friday, 30 May 2014

Have the Bumps Gone Out of Fashion?

I only ask because it has never once occurred to me to give any of my children the bumps on their birthday.
In fact, I'd forgotten that they even existed until my memory was jolted by the sight of Arsene Wenger receiving them courtesy of his team following their FA Cup win.

Seeing this white-haired man in his mid-sixties being casually tossed aloft - and looking both delighted and slightly sheepish at the same time -  reminded me of that mixture of fear and exhilaration that came with getting the bumps on your birthday.  It was part of the whole deal...cake, candles, making a wish, presents, musical statues, the bumps.

So where did they go?  We've attended dozens of children's parties in over the last seven years.  Not even a sniff of them.  Wikipedia described them as one of a number of 'birthday torments' that might be inflicted.  I wondered if contemporary health and safety fears have banished them to the annals of history.

So, ignoring all that, we decided to reinstate them for Gertie's seventh birthday.



I think she enjoyed herself!




Currently reading: Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn
Don't judge...it's half term!

2 comments:

  1. We are currently being told by our rulers in D.C. that potatoes will kill our children so I'm guessing this practice would call for a visit from Child Protective Services.

    We never did these though...just one lick (spank) for each year and a pinch for the following. I think I might insist that Martha and The Boy heave me up 42 times next January...probably be March before the party ends.

    ReplyDelete