Sunday, 18 July 2010

I Spy With My Little Eye Someone Who's Not Ready to Play 'I Spy'

Gertie isn't really 'game-ready' yet. Board games have to be ridiculously simple and engineered so that she will win, within about five minutes of starting. Hide and Seek is....not terribly difficult, particularly if one is the 'seeker'.

So when Gertie announced in the car earlier today that she wanted to play 'I Spy', it was with some trepidation that I agreed.

"You go first, Mummy."
A convoy of motorcycles roared by at that moment, providing just the inspiration I needed. "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'M'."
"No Mummy, you don't say a letter you say a colour."
"Right. Of course you do. I spy with my little eye something that is..."
Gertie eyed me pityingly, and spoke slowly to make sure I understood. "No Mummy, you don't say 'that is' you just say the colour."
I was slowly getting the hang of the game.
"Right. I spy with my little eye something pink."
"Is it my cardigan?"
"No."
"Yes, it is, Mummy. It is!"

Clearly there is a rule somewhere about the guesser also deciding on the object that I am not familiar with, knowing only a more traditional form of the game...

No comments:

Post a Comment