Friday, 9 October 2009

I can't get out of the door

I have a thing about leaving the house tidy when I am going out. My nearly-two-and-a-half-year old daughter does not share this trait. Before yesterday's swimming lesson I was frantically running round making beds and tidying away clothes whilst simultaneously congratulating myself on having got 10-week-old Gilbert fed and changed and ready to go. I came downstairs to find the entire contents of the toy-box emptied out on to the living room floor and a 'tea-party' in full swing.

"Oh darling, I'm trying to get out of the door and look at what you've done!" I cried, exasperated.

"What's the matter mummy? Why can't you get out of the door? Are you stuck?" came Gertie's bewildered response.

Not only can I not get out of the door, I am now more wary than ever of the literal nature of language to a two-year-old.

1 comment:

  1. My two year old has a knack of emptying a toy box just as I want to leave the house too.

    ReplyDelete