Monday, 13 August 2012

The Restless Pillow


Sleep has become a problem in our house.  Gilby's very much in the Virginia Woolf frame of mind in relation to bedtime, seeing sleep as 'that deplorable curtailment of the joy of life' though of course he doesn't express it quite so articulately.  Here are his top five reasons for not going to bed.

  1. "I'm not tired."  This one is particularly favoured after a long, busy day of lots of physical exercise and will be accompanied by enough tears, tantrums and general misbehaviour so as to suggest that 'tired' is exactly what he is.  This is my favourite since it usually means that he'll be snoring inside ten minutes.
  2. "I don't like rooms."  This one's a bit trickier.  We moved him from his own room into sharing with his big sister a few weeks ago, because it began as "I don't like my room". When he persists with this one I usually offer the garden or the shed as alternatives.
  3. "My duvet's not on straight."  There's enough OCD in this household to ensure that a not-straight duvet is extremely problematic for getting off to sleep.  Much fuss and smoothing over.  Calmly. Easier said than done.
  4. ""There are people walking round and they're talking about trying to get me."  This one makes my heart hurt as I remember my own irrational night terrors.  It requires cuddles and headstroking and the promise of leaving the door open.
  5. "There are monsters in here." As for 4.


Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow we went horribly wrong on this issue.

    We went from a child was in bed at 8:30 and slept there until 6:30...to one that waits until after he's been tucked in to announce he has to go to the potty, then he'll get up a couple of times with preplanned issues (same as above plus the neighbors are being loud, something scare me, etc.)...and for the third, which is my favorite, he comes into the living room and you can tell he's scrambling to come up with a reason.
    He's gone so far as to point out something on the kitchen floor...obviously something that couldn't possibly have caught his attention in the bedroom. Ha!

    ReplyDelete