Wednesday, 28 April 2010

OMG!

I have to make a confession. I'm not really a fan of text-speak. My husband and I always text each other in 'full words', no abbreviations whatsoever, complete with careful punctuation. I know that the format requires brevity and doesn't really lend itself to this, and that I give my age as well as my profession away in doing so, but the English teacher in me won't allow those time-saving contractions.

Not so Brenda, the wonder from Down Under, who has happily settled in with us and looks after the children for three days a week now.

Oh no. Being still a teenager (for a few more days, at least) she is quite happy 'lol'ing with the best of them. In fact, AIH, I get into a right old 2n8 trying to decipher her texts. All this is a bit TNC, but I was surprised, nay distressed, to disover that my not-quite-three-year-old is now using 'OMG' in speech as a descriptive term for anything a little bit shocking or out of the ordinary.

Like, "OMG, Mum, I fell over today."

Or "OMG, have you seen what Gilby's just done with his biscuit?"

Right, Brenda, you might be brilliant with the children but we are going to have words about their linguistic development. Is this Australian, or just young?

3 comments:

  1. I do very occasionally write OMG I have to admit, but I abhor text speak too, and my son commented the other day that it was the first time he had received a text with the words prescience and ambivalent! A friend of mine is the same, but also is unable to be succinct and so her texts sometimes go into 3 or 4 texts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's just young! My 12 yr-old used to text me the most ridiculous bunch of words & letters and I refused to reply unless she sent me a message I didn't have to spend an hour deciphering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do text speak either although I do have a guilty pleasure of using emoticons. I've never heard anyone use text speak in actual conversation but maybe that just shows my age :( <<(see!)

    ReplyDelete