Saturday, 6 February 2010

Inner Ear and Inner Sanctum

More guilt from the 'recently-working-and-not-very-happy-about-it' mum this week.

My baby, Gilby, got an inner ear infection and I didn't notice it until after the worst was over. I came home on Thursday and spotted lots of nasty gunky stuff in both ears, so rushed him up to the surgery. The doctor actually said to me, "Well he's not in pain now, but he would have been two days ago..." Excuse me while I just punch myself in the head.

On the upside, I have been invited into the 'inner sanctum', as I was included in a night out with the Ummer Nursery Mums this week. (Gertie actually stopped substituting 'ummer' for 'other' a year ago, but for some reason neither my husband nor I have made the same linguistic leap...)

I don't know what I have done to deserve such an honour, but it was good fun and something of an eye-opener. Discussion involved the politics of the nursery (I simply had no idea!) and Other Children. It did make me wonder what might have been said about us on all previous nights out. Whilst the wine flowed, I felt that I was undergoing some kind of test.

Only another invitation will determine whether or not I passed, and meanwhile I will contempate whether or not I want to!

4 comments:

  1. I hate the pressure of the "ummer" Mum's. We've just done two parties with nursery children, and the groups that have formed already are frightening.

    Don't feel bad about Gilby, it's easy to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend has just missed an inner ear infection too so don't beat yourself up about it.

    I was invited to a lunch with Twin Club mums and then never subsequently invited so I don't think I passed the test!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my post about working mother guilt syndrome (it should be recognised medically, WMGS). Don't beat yourself up, although it did make me feel better! LOL x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all for telling me not too feel bad...ear infection no better, got to go back tomorrow for another course of anti-biotics, I'm guessing...

    ReplyDelete