Wednesday, 10 February 2010

I'm Too Civilised!

Gertie's transfer from 'toddlers' to 'pre-school' at nursery has been a little fraught, since she is inconveniently a few months younger than all her friends. There was initial talk of her joining them despite being a few weeks too young, but that has not happened; so she has been left behind and is sometimes unhappy about it.

But depending on numbers, there are odd days she is allowed to go into pre-school and be with them. Today was one such day. Gertie was really happy about it when I collected her, telling me proudly,
"I'm too civilised to be in toddlers, Mummy."
I wasn't sure that I had heard correctly.
"Sorry, darling - you're too what?
"Too civilised."
"Really. And who told you that?"
"Andrew." (One of the carers there.)

I tried, and failed, to hide my amusement, and the damage was well and truly done after making her repeat it several times, then broadcasting it to Daddy as soon as he arrived home.

She realised that there was some value in whatever she was saying, and began running around the sitting room screaming, "I'M TOO CILVILISED! I'M TOO CIVILISED!" at the top of her voice whilst repeatedly bumping into different articles of furniture.

What a shame she is too young to appreciate the irony.

Eventually this metamorphosed into "I'm too 'fizilised'; I'm too 'fizilised'."
Far more appropriate, I think.

5 comments:

  1. But what on earth was she trying to say?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think, worryingly, just that...which doesn't say an awful lot about the state of 'toddlers' in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, how can a two year old be civilised lol. I would have to ask "Andrew" it would bug me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ang - You're right, I think I'll ask him. Especially since she was saying it again as I went to collect them from nursery today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw bless - fortunately my one isn't at all civilised ... but does still run into furniture

    ReplyDelete