Monday, 30 November 2009

My Guilty Pleasure

There are too many good topics to choose from this week from Josie's writing workshop at Sleep is For the Weak...but this is just a quick one. And it's a little bit pathetic and I can't believe that I am about to reveal it publicly.


My guilty pleasure. I'm not a soap addict, cannot bear reality TV, am driven mad by most day-time telly and dislike the television being on just for the sake of it.


BUT ssshhh, don't tell my husband: For the last couple of weeks, at 2pm I have been tuned into ITV3 for The Darling Buds of May re-runs. I have tried to analyse this. What is the appeal of a television series that was first broadcast in 1991? Am I aspiring to be Ma Larkin, continually producing children and simultaneously baking? I very much doubt it. I don't know what it is other than perhaps wanting to grab hold of a piece of the warmth from that fictitious household. But it certainly adds a glow to a dreary afternoon and has become my guilty secret.


I do try and ensure it coincides with a long feed for Gilby so that I can justify sitting in front of the television for this length during the day, but really, I am starting to worry about myself!

3 comments:

  1. I admit I have watched the odd one too (how young does Catherine Z-J look?) And also Goodnight Sweetheart. I draw the line at Heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes these are the best programs, and yes strangely addicting. i have recently been watching Doc Martin re-runs on the internet, back to back. Couldn't tell you why - just felt the need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think if I line has to be drawn then Heartbeat is definitely where it's at.

    ReplyDelete